How to concatenate cells and add space between words in Excel?
Normally, when you use the CONCATENATE function to combine several cell values, the contents will be joined together with no space. But, sometimes, you want to add the spaces to separate the contents after concatenation. In this case, how could you concatenate multiple cells into one cell and add spaces between the values in Excel?
Supposing, I have the following three columns data, now, I need to concatenate the columns value with space separated to get the following result:
Here are some formulas may help you to solve this job. Please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula =CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2," ",C2) into a blank cell besides your data, E2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and the cells in the same row have been concatenated by space at once, see screenshot:
1. You can also apply this =A2&" "&B2&" "&C2 formula to combine the cells with space.
2. In the above formulas, A2, B2, C2 are the cells that you want to concatenate, if there are more cells needed to be combine, you just add the references after the formula, such as: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2," ",C2," ",D2," ",E2).
3. If you want to use other separator after concertation, for instance, use comma to separate, you can change the formula to =CONCATENATE(A2,",",B2,",",C2).
Concatenate multiple cell values and add space or other delimiters between words with Kutools for Excel
If there are multiple cells needed to be concatenated, the above formulas will be somewhat complex, here, I can introduce you a powerful tool- Kutools for Excel, with its Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data utility, you can quickly concatenate multiple cells from a row or a column into one cell with any specific delimiters.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range of cells that you want to combine based on a row.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data, see screenshot:
3. In the popped out dialog box, please do the following operations:
(1.) Select one option that you need to combine the cells based on under To combine selected cells according to following options, this example, I choose Combine columns;
(2.) Then choose a separator that you want to separate the combined contents from the Specify a separator;
(3.) At last, you can specify an option for dealing with the combined cells, you can keep or delete contents from combined cells, or you can also merge those combined cells.
4. After finishing the settings, please click Ok or Apply button, and all the selected cells have been concatenated into one cell based on rows, see screenshot:
With this Combine feature, you can also combine cells based on column, and combine all the cells into one single cell only.
Demo: Concatenate multiple cell values and add space or other delimiters between words with Kutools for Excel