How to sum data by weekday/month/quarter/year in Excel?
Let’s say you need to calculate monthly totals based on all purchase orders occurred in last year. Comparing to tediously sum every monthly total one by one with formulas, there are some tricks that can help you mass sum data by weekday, month, quarter, or years in Excel easily.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
This method is talking about summing data by month, quarter, or year with a pivot table in Excel. See the detailed steps as follows:
1. Select original data that you will sum by month/quarter/year, and click Insert > PivotTable (or Insert > PivotTable > PivotTable). See screenshot:
2. In the opening Create PivotTable dialog box, specify a place that you will put the created pivot table at, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
3. Now PivotTable Fields pane is opening on the right of worksheet, drag the Date field (the field you will sum by) to Rows section, and drag the Amount field (the field you will sum) to Values section. See below screenshot:
Note: Apart from dragging, you can also right click the Date field and select Add to Row Labels from the right-clicking menu, and right click the Amount field and select Add to Values from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot above:
4. Now go to the pivot table, right click any date in the Row Labels column, and select Group from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot below:
5. In the opening Grouping dialog box, click to highlight a criteria you will sum by in the By box, and click the OK button. In our case, we click to highlight the Months. See screenshot above:
So far we have created a pivot table and sum the amounts by each month as below screenshot shown:
You may have noticed that the pivot table is not able to sum data by weekday. Do not worry! This method will introduce Kutools for Excel utilities to sum data by weekday, month, or year easily as follows:
1. Select the date cells that you will sum data by, and click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting.
2. In the opening Apply Date Formatting dialog box, click to highlight a date formatting which shows a date as only month, weekday, or year based on your needs, and then click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
In our case, we click to highlight the date formatting of “Wed”.
3. Keep selecting the date cells, and click Kutools > To Actual to convert dates to text of weekday names.
4. Select the data range that you will sum by weekday, month, or year, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows.
5. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the Date column which you will sum by, and click Primary Key button;
(2) Select the Amount column which you will sum, and click Calculate > Sum.
(3) Set combining rules for other columns, and click the Ok button.
Now you will see the data range has been summed by every weekday, month, or year based on your settings. See below screenshot: