How to toggle (turn on/off) worksheet protection in Excel?
When editing a protected worksheet in Excel, we have to unprotect this worksheet by clicking Review > Unprotect Sheet and typing password, and then restore the protection again. It will be quite tedious for editing frequently. In this article I will talk about methods to toggle or turn on/off a certain worksheet protection easily.
The first method will introduce a VBA to toggle or turn on/off a certain worksheet protection in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste the below VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Toggle a certain worksheet protection in Excel
Sub ToggleProtect() If ActiveSheet.ProtectContents Then ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" Else ActiveSheet.Protect "password" End If End Sub
Note: In above code, please replace both “password ” with the exact password that you protect this certain worksheet with.
3. Press Alt + F8 keys simultaneously to open the Macro dialog box, click to select the ToggleProtect in the Macro name box, and then click the Options button.
4. In the opening Macro Options dialog box, please specify shortcut key for this VBA, and click the OK button.
In our case, we specify Ctrl + u as shortcut keys for this VBA.
5. Close the Macro dialog box.
From now on, pressing Ctrl + u keys together will unprotect this worksheet, and pressing Ctrl + u keys together again will protect this worksheet again.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can configure the Worksheet Design settings to toggle (or turn on/off) a worksheet protection with only clicks in Excel.
1. Click Enterprise > Worksheet Design to activate the Design tab, and then click the Settings button on the Design tab. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Design Tools Settings dialog box, go to Protect section and:
(1) Check the Unprotect the worksheet before opening design tools option and the Protect the worksheet before closing design tools option;
(2) In the Use Password box, please type the password you protect current worksheet with.
3. Click the Ok button in the Design Tools Settings dialog box.
From now on, this worksheet will be automatically unprotected when you click the Worksheet Design button on the Enterprise tab.
And this worksheet will be automatically protected when you click the Close Design button on the Design tab.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!