Fill series in backward or descending order with fill handle feature
For only fill series of numbers in backward or descending order, such as fill series of 100, 99, 98…, the Fill Handle feature can help you.
1. Type the first number of the series into the cell (here I type number 100 into cell A1).
2. Select cell A1, put the cursor at the right bottom of the cell to display the cross mark, hold down the right click button on the mouse, and then drag the Fill Handle down to the column until it reaches the cell you need. Release the mouse, and then click Series from the popping up menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Series dialog box, enter the descending number into the Step value box (Here we enter -1 into the box). And then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the specified column is filled with descending series numbers.
1. Except the above steps, you can also enter the first two numbers that you want in descending order, such as 100, 99 in cell A1 and A2, select the data, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want.
2. This method only work for numbers, if you want to create series numbers backward with text, please try the below method.
Fill series in backward or descending order with Kutools for Excel
In this section, we will introduce the Insert Sequence Number utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily create a descending series and fill the specified range as you need.
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button to expand the dialog box, and then do the following configuration.
A. If you need, give a name for this descending series in the Name box.
B. Enter the first number of the series into the Start number box.
C. Enter the descending number into the Increment box.
D. Specify number of digits you want to display in the No. of digits box.
E. It is optional for you to add prefix or suffix to the series.
F. Click the Add button to create the series.
3. Now the series is created, for filling this series, please select a range, and click the series you are created in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, then click the Fill Range button. Then the series number (with text) is filled in selected range immediately.
4. After filling the series, close the dialog box.
Note: All numbers in this descending series are unique. Next time when you reuse this series in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, the start number will be one decreasing compare with the last number of the previous inserted series.
If you want to have a free trial ( 30-day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.