How to fill series in backward, descending or decreasing order in Excel?
Normally, the sequence series we created are ascending. In this article, we will show you methods of filling series in backward or descending order in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For only fill series of numbers in backward or descending order, such as fill series of 100, 99, 98…, the Fill Handle feature can help you.
1. Type the first number of the series into the cell (here I type number 100 into cell A1).
2. Select cell A1, put the cursor at the right bottom of the cell to display the cross mark, hold down the right click button on the mouse, and then drag the Fill Handle down to the column until it reaches the cell you need. Release the mouse, and then click Series from the popping up menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Series dialog box, enter the descending number into the Step value box (Here we enter -1 into the box). And then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the specified column is filled with descending series numbers.
1. Except the above steps, you can also enter the first two numbers that you want in descending order, such as 100, 99 in cell A1 and A2, select the data, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want.
2. This method only work for numbers, if you want to create series numbers backward with text, please try the below method.
In this section, we will introduce the Insert Sequence Number utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily create a descending series and fill the specified range as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button to expand the dialog box, and then do the following configuration.
A. If you need, give a name for this descending series in the Name box.
B. Enter the first number of the series into the Start number box.
C. Enter the descending number into the Increment box.
D. Specify number of digits you want to display in the No. of digits box.
E. It is optional for you to add prefix or suffix to the series.
F. Click the Add button to create the series.
3. Now the series is created, for filling this series, please select a range, and click the series you are created in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, then click the Fill Range button. Then the series number (with text) is filled in selected range immediately.
4. After filling the series, close the dialog box.
Note: All numbers in this descending series are unique. Next time when you reuse this series in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, the start number will be one decreasing compare with the last number of the previous inserted series.
- How to create increment number with or inside text in Excel?
- How to fill column with series repeating pattern numbers in Excel?
- How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?