How to fill series in backward, descending or decreasing order in Excel?
Normally, the sequence series we created are ascending. In this article, we will show you methods of filling series in backward or descending order in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For only fill series of numbers in backward or descending order, such as fill series of 100, 99, 98…, the Fill Handle feature can help you.
1. Type the first number of the series into the cell (here I type number 100 into cell A1).
2. Select cell A1, put the cursor at the right bottom of the cell to display the cross mark, hold down the right click button on the mouse, and then drag the Fill Handle down to the column until it reaches the cell you need. Release the mouse, and then click Series from the popping up menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Series dialog box, enter the descending number into the Step value box (Here we enter -1 into the box). And then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the specified column is filled with descending series numbers.
1. Except the above steps, you can also enter the first two numbers that you want in descending order, such as 100, 99 in cell A1 and A2, select the data, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want.
2. This method only work for numbers, if you want to create series numbers backward with text, please try the below method.
In this section, we will introduce the Insert Sequence Number utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily create a descending series and fill the specified range as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button to expand the dialog box, and then do the following configuration.
A. If you need, give a name for this descending series in the Name box.
B. Enter the first number of the series into the Start number box.
C. Enter the descending number into the Increment box.
D. Specify number of digits you want to display in the No. of digits box.
E. It is optional for you to add prefix or suffix to the series.
F. Click the Add button to create the series.
3. Now the series is created, for filling this series, please select a range, and click the series you are created in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, then click the Fill Range button. Then the series number (with text) is filled in selected range immediately.
4. After filling the series, close the dialog box.
Note: All numbers in this descending series are unique. Next time when you reuse this series in the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, the start number will be one decreasing compare with the last number of the previous inserted series.
- How to create increment number with or inside text in Excel?
- How to fill column with series repeating pattern numbers in Excel?
- How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?