How to convert comma separated text string to list or rows in Excel?
Supposing, you have a list of cell values which are separated by commas, now, you need to convert these comma separated text strings to multiple rows or a column as following screenshot shown. How could split multiple cell values into rows based on comma delimiter at once in Excel?
The following VBA code may help you to convert multiple comma separated cell values to a column, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA code: Convert comma separated text string to rows or list
Sub RedistributeCommaDelimitedData() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xArr() As String Dim xAddress As String Dim Rg As Range Dim Rg1 As Range On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set Rg = Application.InputBox("please select the data range:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set Rg = Application.Intersect(Rg, Rg.Parent.UsedRange) If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set Rg1 = Application.InputBox("please select output cell:", "Kutools for Excel", , , , , , 8) If Rg1 Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xArr = Split(Join(Application.Transpose(Rg.Value), ","), ",") Rg1.Resize(UBound(xArr) + 1) = Application.Transpose(xArr) Rg1.Parent.Activate Rg1.Resize(UBound(xArr) + 1).Select End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, in the popped out dialog box, select the data range that you want to convert, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, in the following dialog, specify a cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
5. Click OK button, the selected comma separated cell values have been converted into a list of rows. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Split Cells utility, you can quickly split the comma separated cell values into multiple rows or columns based on the comma delimiter as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with following steps:
1. Select the cell values that you want to convert to rows based on the comma separator.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Rows option under the Type section, and then from the Specify a separator section, check Other checkbox and then enter the comma into the text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok, and another dialog will pop out to remind you select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
5. And then click Ok button, the comma separated cells have been split into multiple rows based on the comma delimiter, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!