How to prevent cell reference in a formula from incrementing /changing in Excel?
For example you have a list of numbers, and you need to calculate each number’s percentage of their total. After typing the formula =A2/SUM(A2:A15) into Cell B2 and then drag Fill Handle down to other cells, the references are incrementing as below screenshots shown. Any idea to prevent cell reference in a formula from incrementing/changing when applying AutoFill in Excel? There are some solutions.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To calculate each number’s percentage of their total, you need to keep the totals (SUM(A2:A15)) static in your formula =A2/SUM(A2:A15). You can do as follows:
In the Cell B2, change your formula with adding absolute reference signs “$” to your formula as =A2/SUM($A$2: $A$15), and then drag the Fill Handle down to other cells.
Note: You can click on the reference cell in the Formula Bar, and then press the F4 key to add $ signs to this reference cell in the formula.
Now the absolute reference SUM($A$2: $A$15) is not incrementing when filling down. See screenshot:
Note: If you have many formulas to fill down, you have to change each formula one by one.
This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Convert Refers utility to prevent cell references in many formulas from incrementing easily.
1. Select the formula cells whose references you will prevent from incrementing, and click Kutools > Convert Refers.
2. In the opening Convert Formula References dialog box, check the To absolute option, and click the Ok button.
Then all selected formula cells’ references are changed to absolute reference as below screenshot shown:
3. Select the formula cells, and drag their Fill Handle down to other cells.
So far, in each column formulas return the same value when filling down, because cell reference is static without incrementing. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Convert Refers utility is designed to help Excel users convert cell references of multiple formulas between absolute reference and relative reference with only several clicks.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoChestia cu apasatul tastei F4 intr-o formula pentru ca relationarea sa nu se incrementeze este fantastica! Multumesc foarte mult!