How to calculate average in a column based on criteria in another column in Excel?
For calculating average in a column based on same values in another column (see screenshot below), what can you do? In this article, we will show you two methods to get it down in details.
You can calculate average in a column based on same value in another column with formulas. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key.
Note: in the formula, B2:B13 is the range contains the criteria, C2:C13 is the range contains the data you want to calculate average, “Owenton” is the value you will calculate based on. You can change them as you need.
Now the sales average of “Owenton” is calculated. For calculating the average of other values in column B, you need to repeat the above operation until all value average are calculated.
This section will show you how to calculate all average in a column based on same value in another column at once in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range, and then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combined Rows.
2. In the Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please configure as follows:
- Select the column you will average data based on, and then click the Primary Key button;
- Select the column you will calculate the average, and then click Calculate > Average.
Note: For the other column in selected range (here is the Date column), please specify the combine criteria for it. In this case, I combine the Date column with comma.
- Click the OK button.
Now the averages in column C are calculated based on the same values in column B. see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!