How to concatenate cells ignore or skip blanks in Excel?
Excel’s Concatenate function can help you to combine multiple cell values into one cell quickly, if there are some blank cells within the selected cells, this function will combine the blanks as well. But, sometime, you just want to concatenate cells with data and skip the empty cells, how could you finish it in Excel?
Concatenate cells ignore or skip blanks with formula
Concatenate cells ignore or skip blanks with User Defined Function
Concatenate cells ignore or skip blanks with Kutools for Excel
Concatenate multiple cells ignore or skip blanks:
Kutools for Excel's Combine feature can help you to combine or concatenate multiple rows, columns or cells without losing data but skip or ignore blank cells.
Supposing, I have the following cells data which populated with some blank cells, to combine the rows into one cell, you can apply a formula to solve it.
Please enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to put the concatenated result, =A1&IF(A2<>"","-"&A2,"")&IF(A3<>"","-"&A3,"")&IF(A4<>"","-"&A4,"")&IF(A5<>"","-"&A5,""), then drag the fill handle right to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and the values of rows have been combined without the blank cells as following screenshot shown:
Tips: If there are more rows need to be concatenated, you should use the IF function to join the cells, such as =A1&IF(A2<>"","-"&A2,"")&IF(A3<>"","-"&A3,"")&IF(A4<>"","-"&A4,"")&IF(A5<>"","-"&A5,"")&IF(A6<>"","-"&A6,""). The "–" character in the formula can be replaced with any other delimiters that you need.
If there are multiple cells needed to be combined, the above formula will be too complex to execute, so, you can use the following User Defined Function to solve it.
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA code: Concatenate cells ignore blanks:
Function Concatenatecells(ConcatArea As Range) As String
'updateby Extendoffice 20151103
For Each n In ConcatArea: nn = IIf(n = "", nn & "", nn & n & "/"): Next
Concatenatecells = Left(nn, Len(nn) - 1)
3. Save and close this code window, go back to the worksheet, then enter this formula: =concatenatecells(A1:A5) into a blank cell, and drag the fill handle right to the cells to apply this formula, and you will get the following result:
Tips: In the above VBA code, you can change the“/” character to any other delimiters that you need.
Excepting the boring formula and code, here, I can recommend a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its powerful Combine utility, you can concatenate multiple cells into one cell with no efforts.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells value that you want to combine.
2. Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog:
(1.) Choose the type of cells that you want to combine, you can combine columns, combine row and combine all cells into singe cell;
(2.) Specify a separator for your concatenated contents;
(3.) Choose the location to put the result, you can put the result to top cell or bottom cell;
(4.) Specify how to deal with the combined cells, you can keep or delete contents from those combined cells, and you can also merge those combined cells.
4. After finishing the settings, click Ok button, and the selected rows have been combined into one cell separately, and it has skipped the blanks automatically, see screenshot:
Click to know more details about this Combine feature…
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
Recommended Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools For Excel brings
300+ cool and powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) for
1500+ work scenarios, helps you solve
82% Excel problems.
- Deal with all complicated tasks in seconds, help to enhance your work ability, get success from the fierce competition, and never worry about being fired.
- Save a lot of work time, leave much time for you to love and care the family and enjoy a comfortable life now.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands, and give you a healthy body.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, and get admiring glance from your colleagues or friends.
- No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes, have a relaxing and pleasant mind, give you a thrill you've never had before.
- Spend only $39, but worth than $4000 training of others. Being used by 110,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years. Buy once, use forever.
- Change the way you work now, and give you a better life immediately!
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Open and create documents in new tabs of same window, rather than in new windows.
- Help you work faster and easily stand out from the crowd! One second to switch between dozens of open documents!