How to count frequency of a text/number/character in Excel column?
For instance, you have a list of data with duplicates, now you want to count the frequency of each value in this column list as below screenshot show, how can you quickly count?
In Excel, I can introduce some formulas to solve this job.
1. Select a blank cell, for instance, D1, and type this formula =SUM(IF($A$1:$A$10=C1,1,0)) into it, and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys simultaneously, and drag the autofill handle over the cells needed this formula. See screenshots:
Tip: In this array formula, A1:A10 is the data list you want to count from, and C1 is the value you want to count the frequency, you can change them as you need.
Note: You also can use this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"AAA-1") to count the frequency of a specific value. A1:A10 is the data range, and AAA-1 is the value you want to count, you can change them as you need, and with this formula, you just need to press Enter key to get the result.
If you want to count the frequency of a value in a range or a cell, you can try to use Kutools for Excel’s Count the number of a word function.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell which you will output the counted result into, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, check Filter checkbox, then type "count" into the textbox to list all formulas about counting in the Choose a formula section, then choose Count the number of a word, go to Arguments input section, select the cell range you want to count a specific word in Text textbox and type the word into the Word textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then the frequency of the value has been count out.
1. With Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears function, you can count the frequency of a word in a single cell.
2. And also, you can count the occurrence of a specific number from a column list.
- How to count the number of characters excluding spaces in Excel cell?
- How to count a character in an Excel cell or a range?
- How to count the number of visible sheets in a workbook?