How to count frequency of a text/number/character in Excel column?
For instance, you have a list of data with duplicates, now you want to count the frequency of each value in this column list as below screenshot show, how can you quickly count?
Count times a word(count times of a specific word appears in a single cell or a range . There are dozens of usually used formulas in the Formula Helper.)
In Excel, I can introduce some formulas to solve this job.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group|
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Click here to know Auto Text Click here to get free trial
1. Select a blank cell, for instance, D1, and type this formula =SUM(IF($A$1:$A$10=C1,1,0)) into it, and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys simultaneously, and drag the autofill handle over the cells needed this formula. See screenshots:
Tip: In this array formula, A1:A10 is the data list you want to count from, and C1 is the value you want to count the frequency, you can change them as you need.
Note: You also can use this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"AAA-1") to count the frequency of a specific value. A1:A10 is the data range, and AAA-1 is the value you want to count, you can change them as you need, and with this formula, you just need to press Enter key to get the result.
If you want to count the frequency of a value in a range or a cell, you can try to use Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears function.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell which you will output the counted result into, and click Kutools > Formulas > Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, in the Text box, click to select the data range you will count the value from, and then select the word you want to count the frequency to the Word textbox. See screenshot:
Tip: You also can directly type the word inclosed with “” you want to count in the Word textbox.
3. Click Ok, and then the frequency of the value has been count out.
1. With Kutools for Excel’s Count times a word appears function, you can count the frequency of a word in a single cell.
2. And also, you can count the occurrence of a specific number from a column list.
- How to count the number of characters excluding spaces in Excel cell?
- How to count a character in an Excel cell or a range?
- How to count the number of visible sheets in a workbook?