How to count same or duplicate values only once in a column?
Supposing, some duplicate values are populated in a column of your worksheet, now, you need to count the same or duplicate values only once which means to count only the unique values as following screenshot shown. How could you solve this task in Excel?
Count the same values only once without case sensitive
To count the same values only once in a column, please apply the following formula into a blank cell where you want to output the result:
And then, press Enter key to get the result, see screenshot:
Count the same values only once with case sensitive
To count the same values only once with case sensitive, please apply the below formula:
And then, press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get the correct result, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formulas, A2:A15 is the data range that you want to count the duplicates only once.
With Kutools for Excel’s Count cells with unique values (include the first duplicate) utility, you can quickly count the number of the same values only once in a column without remebering any formulas.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click a cell where you want to put the result.
2. Click Kutools > Formula Helper > Formula Helper, see screenshot:
3. In the Formulas Helper dialog box:
- Select Statistical option from the Formula Type drop down list;
- Then choose Count cells with unique values (include the first duplicate) from the Choose a fromula list box;
- In the Arguments input section, select the list of cells that you want to count unique values.
4. Then click Ok button, the duplicate values which only appear only once has been calculated at once, see screenshot:
More relative articles:
- Count Unique Values Based On Another Column
- It may be common for us to count unique values in only one column, but, in this article, I will talk about how to count unique values based on another column. For example, I have the following two columns data, now, I need count the unique names in column B based on the content of column A to get the following result.
- Count Unique Values Based On Multiple Criteria
- This article, I will take some examples for you to count unique values based on one or more criteria in a worksheet. The following detailed steps may help you.
- Countif With Multiple Criteria In Excel
- In Excel, COUNTIF function may help us to calculate the number of a certain value in a list. But sometimes, we need to use multiple criteria for counting, this will be more complex, today, I will talk about some items for counting with multiple criteria.
- Countif A Specific Value Across Multiple Worksheets
- Supposing, I have multiple worksheets which contains following data, and now, I want to get the number of occurrence of a specific value “Excel” from theses worksheets. How could I count a specific values across multiple worksheet?