How to convert multiple rows to columns and rows in Excel?
Suppose you have a single column list with multiple rows, and now you want to convert this list to multiple columns and rows as below screenshot shown for viewing data clearly, how do you quickly solve this in Excel? In this article, you may find the good answer.
Quickly transpose Cross table to list or vice versa
|While you receiving a sheet with cross table which you need to convert to list table, how can you quickly deal with it? With Kutools fro Excel's Transpose Table Dimensions utility, you can convert cross dimensions table to three demensions table or vice versa as quickly as you can. Click for 60-day full-featured free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To convert multiple rows in a column to multiple columns and rows, you can use formulas by following steps:
Select a blank cell that you want to out put the first data of your list, says Cell C2, and enter this formula =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-2)*3+INT((COLUMN()-3)),MOD(COLUMN()-3,1)), then press Enter key to get the first data form list, then drag the autofill handle to the right cells you need, and then drag the autofill handle down to the cells until zero displayed. See screenshots:
This formula can be interpreted as
And in the formula,
f_row is the row number of this formula
f_col is the column number of this formula
rows_in_set is the number of rows that make one record of data
col_in_set is the number of columns of the original data
You can change them as you need.
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Know About Auto Text Get Free Trial
For some formula greener, the above formula maybe somewhat difficult, but do not worry, Kutools for Excel’s Transpose Range utility can help everyone to quickly convert multiple rows in a column to columns and rows easily.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the column list and click Kutools > Range > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Transpose Range dialog, check Single column to range option in Transform type section, check the Fixed value option in the Rows per record section and type the number of fixed columns into the following textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to remind you select a cell to output result. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. And the list with multiple rows has been converted to multiple columns and rows.
- How to mass convert text to date in Excel?
- How to convert lowercase to proper or sentence case in Excel?
- How to convert time to decimal hours/minutes/seconds in Excel?