How to change or find and replace first number in cell in Excel?
If you want to change the first number to another one in selected cells, what can you do? And how about replacing the first number with nothing? In this article, you will get the solutions to change or find and replace first number in cell.
Change or find and replace first number with nothing by formula
Change or find and replace first number with nothing by Kutools for Excel
Change or find and replace first number with another number by formula
You can remove the first number in selected cells with formula. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell C1), enter formula =REPLACE(A1,1,1,"") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, the first number 1 means the removing begins with the first number, and the second number 1 indicates that it will remove only one character from left of the cell.
2. Keep selecting cell C1, drag the Fill Handle to the range you need to cover with this formula. Then you can see all first numbers in referenced cells are removed immediately.
The Remove by Position utility of Kutools for Excel can easily remove only the first numbers of selected cells. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range with cells you need to remove only the first number, then click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove by Position dialog box, enter number 1 into the Numbers box, select From left in the Position section, and finally click the OK button.
Then you can see all first numbers in selected cells are replaced with nothing immediately.
As below screenshot shown, you need to replace all the first number 6 with number 7 in a list, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"6","7",1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, then drag the Fill handle to the range as you need. Now all first cells in selected range are replaced with the same value. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!