How to transpose data from column into one single cell in Excel?
When you need to transpose a list of data into one single cell in a worksheet, normally, you can apply the Concatenate function to merge the list of cells into one cell, but, it will be complex if there are huge data need to be combined. This article, I will talk about some quick tricks for you to solve this task in Excel.
Transpose data from column into one single cell with User Defined Function
Transpose data from column into one single cell with Kutools for Excel
Transpose or combine data from one column into one single cell:
Kutools for Excel's Combine feature can help you quickly combine multiple cell contents into one single cell as you need.
Except the Concatenate function to merge a list of cell values, you can apply the following VBA code to get the result as quickly as you can.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose data from column into one single cell
Function transposeRange(Rg As Range)
'updateby Extendoffice 20151207
Dim xCell As Range
Dim xStr As String
For Each xCell In Rg
If Not IsEmpty(xCell.Value) Then
xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & ","
transposeRange = Left(xStr, Len(xStr) - 1)
3. Then save and close this code, go back the worksheet, and enter this formula: =transposerange(A1:A10) into a blank cell to put the result, and press Enter key, you will get all the cell values in a column have been located in a single cell, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, A1:A10 is the list range you want to transpose into one single cell, and also, you can separate the merged content with other delimiters, such as comma, dash, space, etc. by just changing the comma in the script xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & ",".
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its powerful tool-Combine, you can combine data in a column, row or a range to one cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the data column that you want to combine into one cell.
2. Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Column or Rows dialog box, select Combine into single cell under the To combine selected cells according to following options, and then specify a separator to separate the merged content, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, and you will get the following result as you need:
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
Recommended Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools For Excel brings
300+ cool and powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) for
1500+ work scenarios, helps you solve
82% Excel problems.
- Deal with all complicated tasks in seconds, help to enhance your work ability, get success from the fierce competition, and never worry about being fired.
- Save a lot of work time, leave much time for you to love and care the family and enjoy a comfortable life now.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands, and give you a healthy body.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, and get admiring glance from your colleagues or friends.
- No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes, have a relaxing and pleasant mind, give you a thrill you've never had before.
- Spend only $39, but worth than $4000 training of others. Being used by 110,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years. Buy once, use forever.
- Change the way you work now, and give you a better life immediately!
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Open and create documents in new tabs of same window, rather than in new windows.
- Help you work faster and easily stand out from the crowd! One second to switch between dozens of open documents!