How to transpose data from column into one single cell in Excel?
When you need to transpose a list of data into one single cell in a worksheet, normally, you can apply the Concatenate function to merge the list of cells into one cell, but, it will be complex if there are huge data need to be combined. This article, I will talk about some quick tricks for you to solve this task in Excel.
Transpose data from column into one single cell with User Defined Function
Transpose data from column into one single cell with Kutools for Excel
Transpose or combine data from one column into one single cell:
Kutools for Excel's Combine feature can help you quickly combine multiple cell contents into one single cell as you need.
Except the Concatenate function to merge a list of cell values, you can apply the following VBA code to get the result as quickly as you can.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose data from column into one single cell
Function transposeRange(Rg As Range)
'updateby Extendoffice 20151207
Dim xCell As Range
Dim xStr As String
For Each xCell In Rg
If Not IsEmpty(xCell.Value) Then
xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & ","
transposeRange = Left(xStr, Len(xStr) - 1)
3. Then save and close this code, go back the worksheet, and enter this formula: =transposerange(A1:A10) into a blank cell to put the result, and press Enter key, you will get all the cell values in a column have been located in a single cell, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, A1:A10 is the list range you want to transpose into one single cell, and also, you can separate the merged content with other delimiters, such as comma, dash, space, etc. by just changing the comma in the script xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & ",".
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its powerful tool-Combine, you can combine data in a column, row or a range to one cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the data column that you want to combine into one cell.
2. Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Column or Rows dialog box, select Combine into single cell under the To combine selected cells according to following options, and then specify a separator to separate the merged content, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, and you will get the following result as you need:
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!