How to transpose data from column into one single cell in Excel?
When you need to transpose a list of data into one single cell in a worksheet, normally, you can apply the Concatenate function to merge the list of cells into one cell, but, it will be complex if there are huge data need to be combined. This article, I will talk about some quick tricks for you to solve this task in Excel.
Except the Concatenate function to merge a list of cell values, you can apply the following VBA code to get the result as quickly as you can.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose data from column into one single cell
Function transposeRange(Rg As Range) 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xCell As Range Dim xStr As String For Each xCell In Rg If Not IsEmpty(xCell.Value) Then xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & "," End If Next transposeRange = Left(xStr, Len(xStr) - 1) End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back the worksheet, and enter this formula: =transposerange(A1:A10) into a blank cell to put the result, and press Enter key, you will get all the cell values in a column have been located in a single cell, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, A1:A10 is the list range you want to transpose into one single cell, and also, you can separate the merged content with other delimiters, such as comma, dash, space, etc. by just changing the comma in the script xStr = xStr & xCell.Value & ",".
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its powerful tool-Combine, you can combine data in a column, row or a range to one cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the data column that you want to combine into one cell.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data, see screenshot:
3. In the popped out dialog box, select Combine into single cell under the To combine selected cells according to following options, and then specify a separator to separate the merged content, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, and you will get the following result as you need:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!