How to transpose every 5 or n rows from one column to multiple columns?
Supposing, you have long data in column A, and now, you want to transpose every 5 rows from column A to multiple columns, such as transpose A1:A5 to C6:G6, A6:A10 to C7:G7, and so on as following screenshot shown. How could you deal with this task without copying and pasting repeatedly in Excel?
In Excel, you can apply the following formula to transpose every n rows from one column to multiple columns, please do as follows:
1. Enter the following formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result, C1, for example, =INDEX($A:$A,ROW(A1)*5-5+COLUMN(A1)), see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A:A is the column reference that you want to transpose, and A1 is the first cell of the used column, the number 5 indicates the number of columns that your data will locate, you can change them to your need. And the first cell of the list must be located at the first row in the worksheet.
2. Then drag the fill handle right to five cells, and go on dragging the fill handle down to the range of cells until displays 0 , see screenshot:
Transform every 5 or n rows from one column to multiple columns:
To transform every 5 or n rows from one column to multiple columns, Kutools for Excel's Transform Range utility can help you to solve this job as quickly as you can. It also can help you to transpose a range of data to a single row or column. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
If you can't apply the formula correctly, the following VBA code also can help you.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose every 5 or n rows from one column to multiple columns:
Public Sub TransposeData() 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xLRow As Long Dim xNRow As Long Dim i As Long Dim xUpdate As Boolean Dim xRg As Range Dim xOutRg As Range Dim xTxt As String On Error Resume Next xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select data range(only one column):", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, xRg.Worksheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub If (xRg.Columns.Count > 1) Or _ (xRg.Areas.Count > 1) Then MsgBox "the used range only contain one column", , "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If Set xOutRg = Application.InputBox("please select output range(specify one cell):", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xOutRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xOutRg = xOutRg.Range(1) xUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False xLRow = xRg.Rows.Count For i = 1 To xLRow Step 5 xRg.Cells(i).Resize(5).Copy xOutRg.Offset(xNRow, 0).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll, Transpose:=True xNRow = xNRow + 1 Next Application.ScreenUpdating = xUpdate End Sub
3. After pasting the code, please press F5 key to run it, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the column that you want to transpose, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and select one cell where you want to put the result in another popped out box, see screenshot:
5. And click OK, the data in the column has been converted to five columns that you need, see screenshot:
Note: In the above code, you can change the number 5 to other number you need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Transform Range utility, you can quickly transpose one column or row to multiple columns and rows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data in the column, and then click Kutools > Range > Transform Range, see screenshot:
2. In the Transform Range dialog box, select Single column to range option under the Transform type, and then check Fixed value under the Rows per record, then specify the number of columns that you want to transpose to in the Fixed value box, see screenshot:
3. And then click Ok button, in the popped out box, please select a cell to output the result, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button, and your column data has been transposed every 5 rows as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!