How to create chart across/from multiple worksheets in Excel?
For example you have four tables with same layout in four worksheets as below screenshot shown. And now you need to create a chart with extracting a data series from each worksheet, and create a chart with extracting data points from each worksheet, how could you solve them in Excel? This article recommends two workarounds for you:
- Create chart with extracting many data series from multiple worksheets
- Create chart with extracting many data points from multiple worksheets
This section is talking about creating a column chart with extracting many data series from multiple worksheets in Excel. You can follow below steps to archive it.
1. Click Insert > Insert Column Chart (or Column)> Clustered Column. See screenshot:
2. Now we insert a blank chart. Right click the blank chart, and select Select Data from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Select Data Source dialog box, click the Add button.
4. And in the Edit Series dialog box, specify the series name and series values from a worksheet, and then click the OK button.
5. When it returns to the Select Data Source dialog box, repeat step 3 and step 4 to add data series from other worksheets. Finally, all added data series from worksheets are listing in the Legend Entries (Series) box as below screenshot shown.
6. In the Select Data Source dialog box, click the Edit button in the Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels section to open the Axis Labels dialog box, and then specify the axis labels as you need, and click the OK button. See above screenshot:
7. Click the OK button to close the Select Data Source dialog box.
8. It’s optional. Keep selecting the chart, click Design > Add Chart Element > Legend, and then select a legend option from the submenu. See screenshot:
In our case, we select the Legend > Bottom.
So far we have created a clustered column chart with four data series from four worksheets. See screenshot:
Sometimes you may want to create a chart whose data points are from different worksheets. This section will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Dynamically Refer to Worksheets to extract data points from multiple worksheets into a new worksheet, and then create a chart with these data points.
1.On the Sheet Tab bar click the New button or to create a new worksheet.
2. In the new worksheet, select the cell whose cell contents you will extract from other worksheets, and click Kutools > More (in the Formula group) > Dynamically Refer to Worksheets. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Fill Worksheets References dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select Fill vertically cell after cell from the Fill order drop down list;
(2) In the Worksheet list section, check the worksheets where you will extract data points from.
(3) Click the Fill Range button and the Close button successively.
Note: If you have several data series whose data points are from different worksheets, you can repeat this step as you need.
And then you will see data points are extracted from different worksheets. See screenshot:
4. Select the extracted data points, and create a chart. In our case, we create a clustered column by clicking Insert > Insert Column Chart (or Column)> Clustered Column.
Till now we have created a clustered column chart whose data points are from different worksheets. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)