How to define named range across worksheets in Excel?
You may think it easy to define a continuous range as a named range in Excel. However, in some cases you need to define a range across multiple worksheets as a named range, could you come up with some workarounds? This article recommends two solutions:
We can apply the Define name feature to name a range across multiple adjacent worksheets in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Click Formulas > Define Name to open the New Name dialog box.
2. In the New Name dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Type a name for this named range in the Name box;
(2) Place the cursor into the Refers to box, next go to the Sheet Tab bar and select multiple adjacent sheets by holding the Shift key and clicking the first sheet and the last one, and then select a range in current worksheet.
3. Click the OK button in the New Name box.
And then the named range across multiple adjacent worksheets has been defined. However, this named range is not listing in the Name box at the upper-left corner of worksheet.
For easily find out the named range across worksheets from the name box, or for defining named range across multiple nonadjacent or adjacent worksheets, please try Kutools for Excel’s Dynamically Refer to Worksheets utility.
1. Create a new worksheet with clicking the New button or in the Sheet Tab bar.
2. Select the cell in this new worksheet you will define name across worksheet, and click Kutools > More (in the Formula group) > Dynamically Refer to Worksheets. See screenshot:
3. In the Fill Worksheets References dialog box, select Fill Vertically cell after cell from the Fill order drop down list, check the worksheets that you will define named range across in the Worksheet list section, and click the Fill Range button and the Close button successively.
And then you will see the cell contents of specified cell are referred from all specified worksheets as below screenshot shown.
3. Keep selecting the referred cells, and then define these cells as a named range with typing a name into the Name box and pressing the Enter key. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!