How to quickly average visible/filtered cells only in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of filtered data as below screenshot shown, and you just want to calculate the average of the visible data only. In Excel, if you use the common Average function, it will calculate the average on all the data including visible data and hidden data, but here I introduce some methods which can quickly average visible or filtered cells only in Excel for you.
Here, I introduce a User Defined Function for you to average visible cells only.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. And click Insert > Module, then paste below VBA code to the new Module window.
VBA: Average visible/filtered cells only.
Function AverVisible(Rg As Range) 'UpdateByKutoolsforExcel20151208 Dim xCell As Range Dim xCount As Integer Dim xTtl As Double Application.Volatile Set Rg = Intersect(Rg.Parent.UsedRange, Rg) For Each xCell In Rg If xCell.ColumnWidth > 0 _ And xCell.RowHeight > 0 _ And Not IsEmpty(xCell) _ And IsNumeric(xCell.Value) Then xTtl = xTtl + xCell.Value xCount = xCount + 1 End If Next If xCount > 0 Then AverVisible = xTtl / xCount Else AverVisible = 0 End If End Function
3. And save the code and close the Module window, and select a blank cell which out put the calculate result, type this formula =AverVisible(B3:B19), and press Enter key to get the correct result. See screenshots:
Tip: In the formula, B3:B19 is the filtered cells you want to calculate the average value, you can change it to your need.
With above User Defined Function, you may need to remember the code which is a little inconvenient for you. However, if you have installed Kutools for Excel – a handy tool with 120 useful functions, you can use its AVERAFEVISIBLE function to quickly and easily calculate the average in visible cells only.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell which will put the average result in, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > AVERAGEVISIBLE. See screenshot:
2. And then select the data range you want to calculate into Reference textbox in the Function Arguments dialog, then you can see the average result has been shown in the dialog. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, and the result is putted in the selected cell.
In Kutools’ Functions group, you also can count or sum visible cells only, and sum or count cells based on one color and so on.
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Word documents/Excel workbooks as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Word documents or Excel workbooks in one Word window or Excel window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs.
- How to quickly count visible or filtered cells only in Excel?
- How to average values based on cell color in Excel?
- How to count the number of shaded cells in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!