How to remove last/first character if it is a comma or certain character in Excel?
For a range of data, you may want to delete the last or first character if it is a comma or other character in Excel. This article will show you two methods to achieve it.
You can apply the following formulas to delete the last or first character if it is a comma or certain character in Excel.
Delete the last character if it is a comma
1. Select a blank cell (says D2) in the help column, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key. Select the result cell, and drag its Fill Handle down to get all results.
Delete the first character if it is a comma
1. Select a blank cell, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key. Select the result cell, and drag its Fill Handle down to get all results.
Note: In the formula, B2 is the cell in which you want to remove the last or first character, and "," is the character you will remove. Please change them as you need.
This section will show you the Select Specific Cells and the Delete by Position utilities of Kutools for Excel. With these two utilities, you can easily select all cells which end or begin with certain character, and then remove them from the selected cells at once.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells that you want to find if they begin or end with certian character, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, please configure as follows.
3. Keep the cells selected, and then click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position.
4. In the Remove by Position dialog box, enter number 1 into the Numbers box, select From right to remove the last character or From left to remove the first character in the Position section (here we select the From right option), and then click the OK button.
Now the last characters of selected cells are removed immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)