How to count the number of unique rows (combinations of multiple columns) in Excel?
You may be familiar with counting the unique cells in one column in Excel. However, do you have any idea to quickly count the number of unique rows, or the number of unique combinations of multiple columns in Excel? There are a couple of easy solutions:
Normally when merging cells with the Merge feature in Excel, it will remove all cell contents except the first cell content. However, with Kutools for Excel's Combine (Rows & Columns) utility, you can easily batch combine multiple cells/rows/columns without losing data. What's more, this utility also supports remaining original date format and number formats in the combination results. See screenshot:
This method will introduce two formulas to count the total number of unique rows or combinations of multiple columns with following steps.
1. Select a blank cell besides the columns you will count unique rows, says Cell E2, type the formula =A2&B2&C2 into it, and then drag the cell’s AutoFill Handle down to the range as you need.
Note: In above formula, A2 is the first data of the first column, B2 is the first data of the second column, and C2 is the first data of the third column. For combining another column, such as another Column D, change the formula to =A2&B2&C2&D2.
And then you will see columns are combined into one. See screenshot:
2. Select a blank cell you will place the total number of unique rows at, and type the formula =SUM(1/COUNTIF(E2:E20,E2:E20)) (E2:E20 is the new combination column we got in the first step) into it, and then press the Ctrl + Shift+ Enter keys simultaneously. See screenshot:
And then the total number of all unique rows or combinations of multiple columns will return into the selected cell. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility to quickly count the unique row or combinations of multiple columns at ease.
1. Select the columns (ignoring the column header as you need) you will count the unique rows, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, check the Unique values only option or All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option as you need in the Rule section, and then click the Ok button. See screenshot:
If you select the All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option, a dialog box will pop out and show how many unique rows including the 1st duplicate rows have been selected as below screenshot shown:
If you select the Unique values only option, a dialog box will pop out and show how many unique rows have been selected as below screenshot shown:
3. Click the OK button to close the dialog box.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!