How to filter out duplicates and keep unique values in Excel?
For a list of data mixed with some duplicates, you may need to filter out the duplicates and keep only the unique values. You can achieve it with the following methods.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
You can apply the Advanced Filter feature to filter out duplicates in a list and only keep the unique values. Please do as follows.
1. Select the list you need to filter out duplicates, then click Data > Advanced. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Filter dialog box, select Filter the list, in-place option in the Action section, check the Unique records only box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then the duplicates are filtered out and only the unique values are displayed in list. See screenshot:
The Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel help you easily select all unique cells at once in a list, and then you can extract these unique cells into a new column with copying and pasting. Or you can select all duplicates and delete them as you need. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the list you need to filter out the duplicates, then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, if you want to keep all unique values including the first duplicates, please check the All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option, and if you just need to keep unique values only (without any duplicates), please choose the Unique values only option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to delete all duplicates and keep unique values in a list, please select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) option as you need.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells will be selected, just click the OK button.
4. Now the unique value cells as you specified above are selected, please press the Ctrl + C keys to copy these cells and paste them to a new column with pressing Ctrl + V keys.
You will get a list contains only the unique values as below screenshot shown.
|You can download and try the free trial now!|