How to filter out duplicates and keep unique values in Excel?
For a list of data mixed with some duplicates, you may need to filter out the duplicates and keep only the unique values. You can achieve it with the following methods.
You can apply the Advanced Filter feature to filter out duplicates in a list and only keep the unique values. Please do as follows.
1. Select the list you need to filter out duplicates, then click Data > Advanced. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Filter dialog box, select Filter the list, in-place option in the Action section, check the Unique records only box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then the duplicates are filtered out and only the unique values are displayed in list. See screenshot:
The Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel help you easily select all unique cells at once in a list, and then you can extract these unique cells into a new column with copying and pasting. Or you can select all duplicates and delete them as you need. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the list you need to filter out the duplicates, then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, if you want to keep all unique values including the first duplicates, please check the All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option, and if you just need to keep unique values only (without any duplicates), please choose the Unique values only option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to delete all duplicates and keep unique values in a list, please select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) or All duplicates (Including 1st one) option as you need.
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells will be selected, just click the OK button.
4. Now the unique value cells as you specified above are selected, please press the Ctrl + C keys to copy these cells and paste them to a new column with pressing Ctrl + V keys.
You will get a list contains only the unique values as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!