How to find the mode for text value from a list/column in Excel?
As you know, we can apply the MODE function to quickly find out the most frequent number from a specified range in Excel. However, this MODE function does not work with text values. Please do not worry! This article will share two easy methods to find the mode for text values from a list or a column easily in Excel.
- Find the mode for text values from a list/column with formula
- Find the mode for text values from a list /column with Kutools for Excel
This method will introduce an array formula to find the mode for text values (the most frequent text value) in a list in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select a blank cell you will place the most frequent value into, type the formula below, and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
Now the most frequent (mode for) text value has been found and returned into the selected cell. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can leverage the ready-to-use Find most common value formula in its Formula Helper suite to effortlessly identify the most frequent (mode for) text values from a list, bypassing the need to memorize any Excel formulas.
- Select a blank cell where you will place the most frequent (mode for) text value.
- Select Kutools > Formula Helper > Lookup & Reference > Find most common value.
- In the opening Formula Helper dialog box, please specify the list where you will look for the most frequent text value into the Range box, and click the Ok button.
By following the steps above, the most frequent (mode for) text value will be returned to the selected cell.
Note: Want to access the Formula Helper suite? Download Kutools for Excel now! Beyond this, Kutools boasts a myriad of 300+ other features and offers a 30-day free trial. Don't wait, give it a try today!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!