How to vlookup to compare two lists in separated worksheets?
Supposing, I have two worksheets with a list of names as left screenshots shown, now, I want to compare these two lists and find the matching names in Names-1 if they exit in Names-2. It is painful to do such a comparison manually one by one between two sheets, this article, I will talk about some quick tricks to help you to finish it without effort.
The following formula can help you to extract the names both in Names-1 and Names-2 sheets, please do as this:
1. In Names-1 sheet, select a cell which beside your data, please enter this formula: =VLOOKUP(A2,'Names-2'!$A$2:$A$19,1,FALSE), and press Enter key, if the names in this sheet, it will display the name, if not, an error value will be returned, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells to return the names both in Names-1 and Names-2 sheets, see screenshot:
1. Another formula: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,'Names-2'!$A$2:$A$19,1,FALSE)), "No", "Yes") also can help you to compare the two lists and identify if the names are exit in both sheets, after apply this formula, you can get the following result, and Yes indicates the corresponding name exists in both sheets, and No indicates not exist.
2. In the above formulas: A2 is the first cell of the worksheet that you want to compare, Names-2 is another worksheet name that you want to compare, A2:A19 is the name column to be compared with.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Same & Different Cells feature, you can quickly compare two lists in separated worksheets and select or highlight the names which are both in these two sheets without any formulas.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Select the data list in Names-1 sheet under the Find values in, and then select the data from Names-2 sheet under the According to;
(2.) Check Each row from the Based on section;
(3.) Choose Same Values from the Find section;
(4.) Then you can choose background color or font color for the same names which are in both sheets as you need.
3. Then click Ok button, and a prompt box will pop out to remind how many matching cells have been selected, the names which are both in these two worksheets have been selected and highlighted at once, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!