How to count number of certain/specific words in a cell or a range of cells in Excel?
For example, you need to count the occurrence of a certain word in a cell or a range of cells. How can you achieve it? Actually applying formula will help you solve this problem. But is there any method can achieve it without remembering formulas? You can try the following methods.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
You can apply this formula =(LEN(text)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(text,word,"")))/LEN(word) to count number of specific word in a cell in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell, enter the formula =(LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,B1,"")))/LEN(B1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
1. In the formula, A2 is the cell with the text string you need to count a certain word inside, B1 contains the certain word you will count. Please change the cell references based on your cells.
2. This formula can only count number of certain word in a single cell.
3. This formula is case sensitive.
Then you will see the total number of a certain word in a specific cell is calculated and populated in the selected cell.
The Count Times a word appears utility of Kutools for Excel helps you easily count number of certain words in a cell or a range of cells without remembering any formulas.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the result, then click Kutools > Formulas > Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, select the text string cell you need to count number of certain word inside in the Text box, and select the cell contains the certain word in the Word box, and then click the OK button.
If you want to directly enter the certain word into the Word box, you must enclose this word with quotes as below screenshot shown.
Then you will get the result in the selected cell. See screenshot:
Note: This feature is also case sensitive.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to count the number of words in a cell or a range cells in Excel?
- How to count occurrences of specific character in a cell in Excel?