How to add or subtract times to get hours/minutes/seconds in Excel?
In general, summing or subtracting time will get the time format such as hh:mm:ss, but in some cases, you just want to sum or subtract time to get hours or minutes or seconds only, how can you quickly handle it in Excel?
|Kutools' Convert Time utility can quickly convert a time to decimal hours, minutes, seconds.|
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
In Excel, you can add the times first and then format the cells to hours/minutes/seconds.
1. Select a blank cell and type =SUM(A2:B2), and then drag auto fill handle over the cells you need to apply this formula, see screenshot:
2. Then keep the summing cells selected, and right click to select Format Cells from the context menu.
3. Then in the Format Cells dialog, under Number tab, click Custom in the Category section, and then go to type [hh] into the Type textbox in right section. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, and now the summing results have been format as hours only.
Tip: If you want to format cells as minutes, type [mm] into Type textbox, and if you format cells as seconds, type [ss] into Type textbox.
If you want to sum time and then get the results as decimal hours, minutes or seconds, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Convert Time function.
1. Select a blank cell and type =SUM(A2:B2), and then drag the autofill handle over cells to sum up time. See screenshot:
2. Keep results selected, and click Kutools > Content > Convert Time, and select an option you need from the sub context menu. See screenshot:
Then you can see the cells are formatted to decimal hours, minutes or seconds.
Convert to decimal hours Convert to decimal minutes Convert to decimal seconds
- How to remove time from date in Excel?
- How to calculate time difference between two times or dates?
- How to combine date and time into one cell in Excel?
- How to extract time or hour only from datetime in Excel?