How to sum values based on month and year in Excel?
If you have a range of data, column A contains some dates and column B has the number of orders, now, you need to sum the numbers based on month and year from another column. In this case, I want to calculate the total orders of January 2016 to get the following result. And this article, I will talk about some tricks to solve this job in Excel.
The following formula may help you to get the total value based on month and year from another column, please do as follows:
Please enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to get the result: =SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(A2:A15)=1)*(YEAR(A2:A15)=2016)*(B2:B15)), (A2:A15 is the cells contain the dates, B2:B15 contains the values that you want to sum, and the number 1 indicates the month January, 2016 is the year.) and press Enter key to get the result:
If you are not interested in above formula, here, I can introduce you a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, it can help you to solve this task as well.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Firstly, you should copy and paste the data to backup original data.
2. Then select the date range and click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, choose the month and year date format Mar-2001 that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok to change the date format to month and year format, and then select the data range (A1:B15) that you want to work with, and go on clicking Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
5. In the Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, set the Date column as Primary Key, and choose the calculation for the Order column under Calculate section, in this case, I choose Sum, see screenshot:
6. Then click Ok button, all the order numbers have been added together based on the same month and year, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!