How to average multiple vlookup findings in Excel?
For example there are many values matched the lookup value in your table, and you want to average all vlookup findings (target values) in Excel, how could you calculate the average quickly? This article lists three methods to solve this problem easily:
- Average multiple vlookup findings with formula
- Average multiple vlookup findings with Filter feature
- Average multiple vlookup findings with Kutools for Excel
Actually, we don’t need to list all vlookup findings (target values) at all, and we can easily average all vlookup findings with the AVERAGEIF function.
Enter the formula =AVERAGEIF(A1:A24,E2,C1:C24) into a blank cell, and press the Enter key. And then the average of all vlookup findings has been calculated. See screenshot：
(1) In above formula, A1:A24 is the column you will search for the lookup value, E2 is the lookup value, and C1:C24 is the column where you will average vlookup findings.
(2) You can also apply this array formula =AVERAGE(IF(A1:A24=E2,C1:C24)) into a blank cell, and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously.
1. Select the column headers and click Data > Filter.
2. Select the arrow beside the column header where you will search for the lookup value, next only check the lookup value in the drop down list, and click the OK button. See left screenshot:
3. Enter the formula =AVERAGEVISIBLE(C2:C22) (C1:C22 is the column where you will average vlookup findings ) into a blank cell, and press the Enter key. And then the vlookup findings’ average has been calculated. See below screenshot:
This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility to combine rows based on duplicates in one column, and then calculate sum/average/max/min/count matched values in another column. Pleased do as follows:
2. In the opening Advanced Combine Rows dialog box,
(1) Select the column you will search for lookup value, and click the Primary Key;
(2) Select the column where you will average vlookup findings, and click Calculate > Average;
(3) Specify the combination or calculation rules for other columns. In our case, we select the Price column and click Combine > Comma.
3. Click the Ok button.
And then rows have been combined based on duplicate values in the column you will search for lookup value, and values in other columns have been combined or calculated (average, sum, max, min, etc.). See screenshot:
At this time, you can easily get the average of all vlookup findings.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!