How to find most common number or text in a list in Excel?
If you have a list of numbers including some duplicates, and you want to find the number which appears most frequently in this list, except count them one by one, I can introduce some tricks to quickly find the most common number of the list in Excel.
Count times a word(count times of a specific word appears in a single cell or a range .）
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you just want to find most common number in a list, you can use a simple formula.
Select a blank cell, here is C1, type this formula =MODE(A1:A13), and then press Enter key to get the most common number in the list.
Tip: A1:A13 is the list you want to find most common number form, you can change it to meet your needs.
But if you want to find the most common text in a list, the above formula cannot to help you.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Find most common value function to quickly find the most common number or text in a range.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a blank cell where you want to output the most common value, here is C1, and click Kutools > Formulas > Find most common value. See screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, click to select a range you want to find the most common value from. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then the most common number or text has been found.
In Formula Helper group, there are multiple useful functions can help you handle the daily Excel work, such as calculate age based on birthday, count words in a range, count weekdays/weekends between two dates and so on. Click here to know more.
|If you are interested in this addi-in, click here to download the 60-days free trial.|
- How to quickly find or return the second highest or smallest value in Excel?
- How to check or find if a value is in a list in Excel?
- How to find and break external links in Excel?
- How to quickly find and replace in multiple opened Excel files?