How to quickly find or return the second highest or smallest value in Excel?
To find the highest or smallest value in a range may be simple for most Excel users, but how about finding or returning the second or nth highest or smallest value from a range? Here this tutorial is going to tell you the formula to quickly return the second highest or smallest value in Excel.
Select Cells with Max & Min Value function can quickly select the largest or smallest data from a range, each column or each row.
|1) Select the cells type you want to find max or min value fromin the Look in list,
you can find the maximum value in both formula and value cells, or only formula cells, or only value cells;
2) Specify to find out min value or max value in Go to section;
3) If you want to find max value based on each column, check Entire column in Base section;
4) To find out all max values, check All cells in Select section, if you just need to find the first appearing max value, check First cell only.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here I introduce formulas to help you find the second highest or smallest value in a range.
Select a blank cell, F1 for instance, type this formula =LARGE(A1:D8,2), and press Enter key to get the second largest value of the range. See screenshot:
If you want to find the second smallest value, you can use this formula =SMALL(A1:D8,2), see screenshot:
Tip: In the above formulas, A1: D8 is the cell range you want to find value from, 2 indicates the second largest or smallest value you want to find, and you can change them as you need.
To find and return the highest or smallest value from specified range is easy, but in some cases, you not only want to know the highest or smallest value, but also want to locate its position. In this case, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Cells with Max & Min Value utility to quickly handle it without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cell range you want to find and locate the maximum or minimum value, and click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Max & Min Value. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, do as below operations:
1) Specify the cells type you want to find maximum/minimum value from, you can look in formula cells, value cells, or both in formula and value cells;
2) Specify to select maximum value or maximum value;
3) Specify to select max or min value from the whole selection or each row/each column in the selection;
4) Specify to select all match cells or only the first one.
3. Click Ok, and the highest or smallest value has been selected.
- How to find the max or min value for each day in an Excel range?
- How to find max or min value based on unique values in Excel?
- How to check or find if a value is in a list in Excel?
- How to find most common number or text in a list in Excel?