How to quickly find or return the second highest or smallest value in Excel?
To find the highest or smallest value in a range may be simple for most Excel users, but how about finding or returning the second or nth highest or smallest value from a range? Here this tutorial is going to tell you the formula to quickly return the second highest or smallest value in Excel.
Select Cells with Max & Min Value function can quickly select the largest or smallest data from a range, each column or each row.
|1) Select the cells type you want to find max or min value fromin the Look in list,
you can find the maximum value in both formula and value cells, or only formula cells, or only value cells;
2) Specify to find out min value or max value in Go to section;
3) If you want to find max value based on each column, check Entire column in Base section;
4) To find out all max values, check All cells in Select section, if you just need to find the first appearing max value, check First cell only.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Here I introduce formulas to help you find the second highest or smallest value in a range.
Select a blank cell, F1 for instance, type this formula =LARGE(A1:D8,2), and press Enter key to get the second largest value of the range. See screenshot:
If you want to find the second smallest value, you can use this formula =SMALL(A1:D8,2), see screenshot:
Tip: In the above formulas, A1: D8 is the cell range you want to find value from, 2 indicates the second largest or smallest value you want to find, and you can change them as you need.
To find and return the highest or smallest value from specified range is easy, but in some cases, you not only want to know the highest or smallest value, but also want to locate its position. In this case, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Cells with Max & Min Value utility to quickly handle it without any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cell range you want to find and locate the maximum or minimum value, and click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Max & Min Value. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, do as below operations:
1) Specify the cells type you want to find maximum/minimum value from, you can look in formula cells, value cells, or both in formula and value cells;
2) Specify to select maximum value or maximum value;
3) Specify to select max or min value from the whole selection or each row/each column in the selection;
4) Specify to select all match cells or only the first one.
3. Click Ok, and the highest or smallest value has been selected.
- How to find the max or min value for each day in an Excel range?
- How to find max or min value based on unique values in Excel?
- How to check or find if a value is in a list in Excel?
- How to find most common number or text in a list in Excel?