How to countif absolute values greater/less than given value in Excel?
For example there is a series of positive numbers and negative numbers in a range in Excel, how could you quickly count the total number of numbers whose absolute values are greater than or less than a given value? This article will introduce some methods to solve it easily.
We can countif the numbers whose absolute values are greater than or less than a certain value with formulas easily in Excel.
Select a blank cell you will place the counting result into, type the formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(ABS(B2:B13)<=60)) (B2:B13 is the range you will count if absolute values are less than the given value, and 60 is the given value ) into it, and press the Enter key.
And now the numbers whose absolute values are less than the given number has been counted out. See screenshot:
(1) For counting numbers whose absolute values are greater than the given number, please replace the “<=” with “>=”, and the formula will show as =SUMPRODUCT(--(ABS(B2:B13)>=60)).
(2) You can also apply this formula =COUNTIF(B2:B13,">=-60")-COUNTIF(B2:B13,">=60") to count the numbers whose absolute values are less than the given value.
If we can convert all negative numbers to positive, we can apply the normal COUNTIF function to count the numbers whose absolute values are greater than or less than a certain value easily. This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Change Sign of Values utility and the COUNTIF function to solve this problem at ease.
1. Select the range you will count, and click Kutools > Content > Change Sign of Values. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Change Sign of Values dialog box, please check the Change all negative values to positive option, and click the Ok button.
And now all negative numbers in the selected range are converted to corresponding positive numbers. See screenshot:
3. Type the formula =COUNTIF(B2:B13,"<="&"60") (B2:B13 is the range you will work with, 60 is the given value) into a blank cell, and press the Enter key. And the numbers whose absolute values are less than the given number is counted out at once.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!