How to copy subtotals only in Excel?
In general, we can copy a range and paste values or formats only. But, sometimes you may want to copy a range and paste subtotals only, how could you get it done in Excel? Below methods will ease your work greatly.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
For example you have a fruit purchase table as below screenshot shown. Now you want to copy subtotal of each fruit from the table. This section will introduce the Subtotal feature to get it done in Excel.
1. Select the Fruit column in the table, and click Data > Sort A to Z or Sort Z to A as you need. See screenshot:
2. In the popping out Sort Warning dialog box, please check the Expand the selection option, and click the Sort button. See screenshot:
3. Select any cell in the table, and click Data > Subtotal. See screenshot:
4. In the opening Subtotal dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the column you will add subtotal based on from the At each change in drop down list. In our case, we select the Fruit column.
(2) Select the calculation type you will do from the Use function drop down list. In our case, we select the Sum.
(3) In the Add subtotal to box, please check the columns you will add subtotals for. In our case, we check the Amount column.
(4) Click the OK button.
5. Now the data is grouped by fruit, and subtotal has been added for each fruit. Click the 2 in the up-left corner of working area to collapse the groups. See screenshot below:
6. And now only subtotal rows are visible. Please copy these visible subtotal rows with selecting these subtotal rows, press the Alt + ; keys simultaneously, and then press the Ctrl + C keys simultaneously. See screenshot above:
7. Select the destination range, and then press the Ctrl + V keys simultaneously to paste these subtotal rows.
And now only the subtotal rows are copied and pasted into the destination range. See screenshot:
It might be a little complex to copy subtotals only with the Subtotal feature in Excel. This method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility to quickly copy the subtotals only at ease.
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Copy the fruit purchase table, and paste into the destination range. Keep selecting the pasted table, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Select the column you will add subtotals based on (the Fruit column in our case), and click the Primary Key;
(2) Select the column you will add subtotals for (the Amount column in our case), and then click Calculate > Sum or other calculation type as you need. See screenshot:
(3) Click the Ok button.
3. Now each fruit’s subtotal has been calculated and placed in the destination range. See screenshot: