How to quickly sum values excluding hidden columns in Excel?
To sum values excluding hidden rows, you can use the formula =SUBTOTAL() to solve, but, how about summing values ignoring hidden columns? Here this article introduces the tricks on quickly summing values in the visible columns only.
Here is a VBA code can help you quickly sum visible columns only.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to display Microsoft Visual for Basic Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module and paste below code into the new Module window.
VBA: Sum visible column values only
Public Function SumVisible(Rg As Range) As Double 'UpdatebyExtendOffice20160302 Dim xCell As Range Dim xRg As Range Dim xOutRg As Range On Error Resume Next Application.Volatile Set xRg = Application.Intersect(Rg, Rg.Worksheet.UsedRange) If Not (xRg Is Nothing) Then For Each xCell In xRg If (xCell.EntireRow.Hidden = False) And _ (xCell.EntireColumn.Hidden = False) Then If xOutRg Is Nothing Then Set xOutRg = xCell Else Set xOutRg = Application.Union(xCell, xOutRg) End If End If Next End If If Not xOutRg Is Nothing Then SumVisible = Application.Evaluate("SUM(" & xOutRg.Address & ")") Else SumVisible = 0 End If End Function
3. Save code and close the window, then go back to select a blank cell which you will put the calculated result at, and type this formula =SumVisible(A1:C9), press Enter key, the correct summing result has been got.
Tip: In the formula, A1:C9 is the cells you want to sum.
Maybe you are not familiar with VBA code, but if you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can quickly and easily solve this job.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a blank cell that will put the summing result, E1 for instance, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > SUMVISIBLE. See screenshot:
2. In the Function Arguments dialog, click to select cells you want to sum into the Reference textbox, and you can preview the calculated result at the bottom. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, and only the visible columns have been summed.
With Kutools for Excel, you also can count or calculate the average in visible cells/row/columns. See screenshot:
Tip: You also can directly type this formula =SUMVISIBLE(A1:C9)/ =COUNTVISIBLE(A1:C9)/ =AVERAGEVISIBLE(A1:C9) into the cell to get the result after installing Kutools for Excel.