How to show (formula) relationships between cells in Excel?
If there are multiple formulas in your worksheet, and now you want to display the formula relationships between the cells, which means you need to trace the precedents and dependents between cells. In this article, I introduce the tricks which can do you a favor.
In Excel, you can apply Trace Precedents and Trace Dependents functions to show the relationships between cells.
1. Select a cell which you want to trace the precedents or dependent.
2. Click Formulas > Trace Precedents/Trace Dependents. See screenshot:
Trace Precedent: Show arrows that indicate which cells affect the value of the selected cell
Trace Dependents: Show arrows that indicate which cells are affected by the value of the selected cell.
And now the relationship between cells has been shown:
(1) If the active cell doesn’t contain a formula with valid references, or not be referred by any formulas, warning dialog boxes will pops out as below screenshot shown:
(2) For removing these arrows, please click Formulas > Remove Arrows.
But with this method, you only can show one relationship with one step, if there are hundreds of formulas, this way must be tedious and time-wasted. In this case, you can move on the next method.
With Kutools for Excel, you can quickly show all relationships among cells in a range, and also can automatically display the formula relationship in real time with the Trace Precedents and Dependents utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Click Kutools > More, then choose one option as you need. See screenshot:
Now when you click a cell or a range, the relationships between cells have been shown in real time.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)