How to average values if another column contains certain text in Excel?
If you have a range of data which column A is the product name and column B contains the total price, and now, you would like to average the values in column B if column A contains a certain text to get the following result. How could you deal with this task in Excel quickly and easily?
To calculate the average based on another column data, the following formulas may do you a favor, please do as follows:
1. First, you should extract the unique values from column A, please apply this array formula: =IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$17, MATCH(0,COUNTIF($E$1:E1, $A$2:$A$17), 0)),"") into a blank cell, E2 for example, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get to correct result, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2:A17 is the list that you want to extract unique values from, E1 is the first cell of the column you want to put out the extracting result.
2. Then drag the fill handle down to extract all unique values until blank cell is displayed, see screenshot:
3. After extracting the unique values from column A, and now, you should use this formula: =AVERAGEIF($A$2:$A$17,E2,$B$2:$B$17) into cell F2 to calculate the average of the product “Apple”, then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and the average of the values based on a specific text has been calculated at once, see screenshot:
Note: In this formula: A2:A17 is the original data which contains the specific text you want to average based on, E2 is the unique value you have extracted, and B2:B17 is the total price column that you want to calculate the average.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Advanced Combine Rows utility, you can quickly combine, sum, average the corresponding values from one column based on another column data.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
3. In the Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, click the column which contains the certain value you want to average based on, and then click Primary Key to set it as primary key, see screenshot:
Tips: If your selection includes headers, please check My data has headers option.
4. Go on clicking another column that you want to calculate the average, and then click Calculate > Average, see screenshot:
5. After finishing the settings, please click Ok button, and the average of the total price has been calculated based on the same data in column A, see screenshot: