How to reverse the text to column function in Excel?
In Excel, the Text to Columns feature may help you to split the cell contents into multiple columns by a specific separator. But sometimes, you want to reverse the Text to Columns function to combine the separated cell values into only one cell as following screenshot shown. And this article, I will talk about how to reverse the Text to Columns feature to concatenate multiple columns into one.
Normally, you can apply some formulas to reverse the text to columns function to combine the separated columns into only one, please do as follows:
1. Type one of the following formulas into the a cell where you want to combine the column cells, see screenshot:
=A2&" "&B2&" "&C2
=CONCATENATE(A2," ", B2," ",C2)
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to combine the cells, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2, B2, and C2 is the cells that you want to combine into one, and the combined values are separated by space, you can also combine them with other delimiters just need to change the space to any other separator as you need.
If there are multiple columns needed to be combined, you should apply the & characters to join the cell contents one by one, it will be much troublesome. But, with the following code, you can quickly combine multiple columns into one at once.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Reverse the text to columns function:
Public Function ReverseTextToColumns(Rg As Range, Optional D As String = " ") As String 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xArr xArr = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(Rg.Value)) ReverseTextToColumns = Join(xArr, D) End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula: =reversetexttocolumns(A2:C2,","), and drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, all the cell values in the columns have been combined into one column, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2:C2 is the column cells that you want to combine, and the comma “,” is the separator to separate the combined data, you can change them to your need.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to combine.
2. And then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Column or Cells without Losing Data, see screenshot:
3. In the popped out dialog box, please do the following operations:
(1. ) Select Combine columns option under the To combine selected cells according to following options;
(2. ) Specify a delimiter to separate the combined contents under the Specify a separator;
(3. ) Then choose one option you want to deal with the combined cells. You can keep or delete contents from other cells, and you can also merge those cells.
4. Then click Ok or Apply, the separate columns have been reversed to combine into one column, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!