How to match the cell value with sheet tab name or vice versa in Excel?
If you want to reference a sheet tab name to a specified cell, or name the sheet with a specified cell value, the following methods can help you.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
You can apply the following formula to match the cell value with sheet tab name in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell you need to locate the sheet tab name, enter formula =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255) into the Formula Bar and then press the Enter key.
Then you can see the sheet tab name is referenced into the blank cell.
If formula is hard to remember, here I recommend you a handy tool – Kutools for Excel. With its Insert Workbook Information utility, you can easily match the cell value with sheet tab name in Excel with only several clicks.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the sheet tab name, then click Enterprise > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, select the Worksheet name option in the Information section, keep the Range option selected in the Insert at section, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you can see the sheet tab name is populated into the selected cell.
This section will show you a VBA method of naming the sheet tab with specified cell content in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application dialog box.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application dialog box, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: name the sheet tab with cell value
Sub TabName() ActiveSheet.Name = ActiveSheet.Range("A1") End Sub
Note: In the above code, A1 is the cell value you want to name the sheet tab, you can change it to other specified cell as you need.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then the sheet tab will be renamed with the content of cell A1 immediately.
The Rename Multiple Worksheet utility of Kutools for Excel can also help you to rename a sheet tab with a specified cell value. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cell which content you need to use as sheet tab name, then click Enterprise > Worksheet > Rename Worksheets. See screenshot:
2. In the Rename Multiple Worksheets dialog box, check the worksheet in the Worksheets box which you will rename with the content of a specified cell, select the Replace original sheet name option in the Rename Options section, then choose the From specific range or Rename worksheets with specific cell option, and finally click the OK button.
3. After clicking the OK button, a dialog box will pop up to tell you how many worksheets are renamed successfully, please click the OK button.
Now the sheet tab is renamed by content of cell A1 as above screenshot shown.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!