How to set a default value in data validation drop-down list in Excel?
Set a default value in data validation drop-down list helps others to identify the drop-down list cells easily at a glance in a worksheet. This article provides a VBA method to set a default value in data validation drop-down list in details.
As below screenshot, supposing all cells in range B2:C7 contain drop-down list, and you want to set a default value (says - Choose from the list -) in these drop-down list before choosing values from them. You can try the following VBA code.
1. Right click the sheet tab with the drop-down lists you need to set a default value, then click View Code from the menu.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: set a default value in data validation drop-down list
Sub DropDownListToDefault() Dim xCell As Range Dim xRg As Range Dim xAcCell As Range Dim xScreen As Boolean On Error Resume Next Set xAcCell = Application.ActiveCell Set xRg = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation) If xRg Is Nothing Then MsgBox "No data validation drop-down lists in current worksheet", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If xScreen = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In xRg If xCell.Validation.Type = 3 Then If xCell.Value = "" Then xCell.Value = "'- Choose from the list -" End If Next xAcCell.Select Application.ScreenUpdating = xScreen End Sub
Note: you can change the default value in the VBA code to the one you need.
6. Press the F5 key to run the code. You can see the default values are added to all drop-down list cells as below screenshot shown.
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?