How to calculate elapsed time/days/months/years between two datetimes in Excel?
Here you have two time lists, one list is the start time, the other is the end time, can you calculate the elapsed time between two times in the same row quickly as below screenshot shown? Here, this tutorial introduces the tricks on calculating elapsed time, days, months, or years between two datetimes in Excel.
Calculate elapsed time
1. Select a blank cell, enter this formula =IF(B2< A2, 1 + B2 - A2, B2- A2), A2 is start time, B2 is End time, and press Enter key then drag auto fill handle to fill formulas to the cells you want.
2. Keep formula cells selected, right click to open context menu, and choose Format Cells, and in the Format Cells dialog, under Number tab, select Time from left pane, then to choose the time type you want to display in right section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK. The elapsed times have been displayed.
Calculate elapsed days/month/years
To calculate elapsed days is so easy, you just need to apply this formula = B2-A2, A2 is the start date, B2 is the end date.
Tip: To calculate elapsed month, you can use this formula =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"m"), A2 is the start date, B2 is the end date. For elapsed years, apply =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"m")/12, and then format the cells as number.
Calculate elapsed year, month and days
For example, you have two dates, and you want to know the exact difference between these two dates, and display the elapsed period as x Years, x Month, x Days (such as 2 Years, 6 Months, 19 Days), you can apply below formula.
Select a blank cell which will place the calculated result, enter this formula =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y") & " Years, " & DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM") & " Months, " & DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD") & " Days", press Enter key to get the result.
Easily add days/years/month/hours/minutes/seconds to a datetime in Excel
|Supposing you have a date time format data in a cell, and now you need to add a number of days, years, months, hours, minutes, or seconds to this date. Normally, using formula is the first method for all Excel users, but it’s hard to remember all formulas. With Kutools for Excel’s Date & Time Helper utility, you can easily add days, years, months, or hours, minutes or seconds to a date time, moreover, you can caculate the date difference, or the age based on a given birthday without remembering the formula at all. Click for full-featured free trial in 30 days!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!