How to add leading zero to fixed number length in Excel?
For example, you have a list of numbers with different character length which look untidy. For viewing neatly and clearly, you can add leading zero to fixed numbers with same length as below screenshot shown. This article, introduces the tricks on adding leading zero or trailing zero to fix number length in Excel.
Select a blank cell next to the numbers you want to add leading zero, B2 for instance, and enter this formula
Add leading zero after decimal to fixed number length with formula =TEXT(A2,"000000"), then drag autofill handle down to apply this formula to the cells you want. See screenshot:
Tip: In above formula, A2 is the number you want to add leading zero, “000000” indicate to fix length as 6 character, you can change it as you want.
If you want to add trailing zero after decimal to fixed number length as below screenshot shown, you can apply following formula.
Select a blank cell, C2 for instance, enter this formula =FIXED(A2,IF(ABS(A2)<1,5,5-INT(LOG(ABS(A2)))),TRUE), and drag fill handle over the cells you need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
In Excel, when you insert a number with leading zero, the leading zero will be hidden in default. But if you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Insert Sequence Number utility to insert numbers with leading zero easily.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a range you want to list the sequence numbers, and click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog, click New to expand the dialog, then specify the sequence number settings as you want. See screenshot:
Note: Only if the number in the No. of digits box is bigger than the digits of number in the Start Number box, leading zero will be added into the sequence numbers.
3. Click Add to add this new sequence to the list, and then click Fill Range to fill the numbers to the selected cells. See screenshot:
One click to remove all leading zeros from cells in Excel
|Just one click, all leading zeros of the cells in seletion have been removed. Click for 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!