How to count cells that equal to a certain value in Excel?
For counting how many cells in a range that equal to a certain value in Excel, this article will help you in details.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
As below screenshot shown, you need to count how many cells in the Team Color column containing the value “Red”. Please do as follows.
Use formula: =COUNTIF(range,criteria)
1. Select a blank cell (in this case, I select cell C2), enter formula =COUNTIF(B2:B19,"Red") into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. Then you will get the result immediately. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to count number of cells equal to either X or Y in a specified range, such as equal to either Red or Black in range B2:B19, please use the formula =COUNTIF(B2:B19,"Red") + COUNTIF(B2:B19,"Black"). See screenshot:
This section will introduce the Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily count number of cells in a range that equal to a certain value, or equal to either X or Y. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range with the cells you need to count, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the Cell option in the Selection type section, and in the Specific type section, select Equals from the drop-down list, then enter the certain value into the next text box you will count based on, and finally click the OK button.
For counting number of cells equal to either X or Y in the selected range, please do the configuration as below screenshot shown.
3. After clicking the OK button, the counting result will be displayed in the popping up dialog box, please click the OK button. And all matched cells in selected range will be selected immediately. See screenshot:
|You can download and try the free trial of Kutools for Excel now!|