How to format number as ordinal (1st 2nd 3rd ) in Excel?
In some cases, we need to format number as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. when we rank as below screenshot shown. However, do you know how to format these cardinal numbers as ordinal numbers in Excel? In general, there is no built-in function to convert number as 1st in Excel, but, here I can introduce some tricks on this problem.
To format number as ordinal, here is a macro code can help you.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below VBA to the Module script. See screenshot:
VBA: Format number as ordinal
Function Addth(pNumber As String) As String 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20160628 Select Case CLng(VBA.Right(pNumber, 1)) Case 1 Addth = pNumber & "st" Case 2 Addth = pNumber & "nd" Case 3 Addth = pNumber & "rd" Case Else Addth = pNumber & "th" End Select Select Case VBA.CLng(VBA.Right(pNumber, 2)) Case 11, 12, 13 Addth = pNumber & "th" End Select End Function
3. Then select a blank cell next to the number you want to format as ordinal, C2 for instance, and enter this formula =Addth(B2), B2 is the number you use, and press Enter key, then drag autofill handle over the cells you want to apply this formula. See screenshot:
If you are not good at executing macro code, you can try to apply Kutools for Excel’s Convert Number to Ordinal utility, which just needs one click to handle the job.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Select the numbers you want to format as ordinal, and click Kutools > Content > Convert Number to Ordinal. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!