How to format numbers in thousands, million or billions in Excel?
Supposing, you have a list of large numbers, now, you want to format them in thousands, millions or billions to make them look neat and concise as following screenshot shown. This article, I will talk about how to format numbers in thousands, millions or billions quickly in Excel.
Format numbers in thousands, millions, billions separately with Format Cells function
In Excel, you can create custom format with the Format Cells feature to solve this task, please do as follows:
1. Select the list of numbers which you want to format.
2. Then right click, and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, select Custom from the left pane, in the Type text box, enter the below format code as you need:
- Format numbers in thousand: 0, "K"
- Format numbers in millions: 0,,"M"
- Format numbers in billions: 0,,,"B"
4. Then click OK to close the dialog box, and your numbers have been formatted in thousands, millions or billions as following screenshot shown:
- Tips: If you want to format the numbers in thousands or millions with commas as following screenshot shown, please apply this format: #,##0,"K" or #,##0,,"M" into the Format Cells dialog box.
Format numbers into English or Chinese Currency words with an easy way
Kutools for Excel's Spell Out Numbers utility can help you to spell out the numeric numbers into English or Chinese currency words quickly and easily. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
Format numbers in thousands, millions, billions based on numbers with Format Cells function
If you want to format the numbers in thousands, millions or billions based on the specific numbers instead of only one number format. For example, to display 1,100,000 as 1.1M and110,000 as 110.0K as following screenshot shown.
1. Select the cells contain the numbers you want to format, and then right click Format Cells option from the context menu.
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, select Custom from the left pane, in the Type text box, enter this format code: [<999950]0.0,"K";[<999950000]0.0,,"M";0.0,,,"B", see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, and all the numbers have been formatted as the desired format based on the numbers, see screenshot:
Convert abbreviative numbers to normal long numbers (1K = 1000) with formula
Sometimes, you want to do the opposite operation to convert the abbreviative numbers to normal long numbers as below screenshot shown:
Please enter or copy the below formula into a blank cell where you want to get the result:
Then, drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to apply this formula, and all the abbreviative numbers have been formatted to the normal long numbers as you need, see screenshot:
More relative format clles articles:
- Format Number As Ordinal (1st 2nd 3rd ) In Excel
- In some cases, we need to format number as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. when we rank as below screenshot shown. However, do you know how to format these cardinal numbers as ordinal numbers in Excel? In general, there is no built-in function to convert number as 1st in Excel, but, here I can introduce some tricks on this problem.
- Apply Data Validation To Force Phone Number Format In Excel
- May be, there are various phone number formats can be used when typing into the Excel workbook. But, how could you only allow one phone number format to be entered in a column of worksheet? For example, I just want the phone number as this format 123-456-7890 to be allowed entering in a worksheet.
- Validate Email Addresses In A Column Of Worksheet
- As we all known, a valid email address is composed of three parts, the user name, the "at symbol" (@), and the domain. Sometimes, you just allow others to enter only the email address format text into a specific column of worksheet. Is it possible to achieve this task in Excel?
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!