How to insert formula result in Excel comment?
Inserting comment to the cells maybe help you to descript some contents definitely, but have you ever tried to insert the formula result to the comment when the comment cell is applying a formula as below screenshot shown? In Excel, except entering the formula result into comment manually, there is no built-in function to solve it. But here I introduce some interesting tricks which can do you a favor on it.
Here is a VBA code can help you to quickly insert a comment with the formula result of the active cell.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the Module script.
VBA: Insert comment with formula result
Sub ValueToComment() 'Updateby20160711Extendoffice Dim xRg As Range Dim xTxt As String Dim xCell As Range On Error Resume Next If ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Count > 1 Then xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.AddressLocal Else xTxt = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.AddressLocal End If Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Select cells you want to insert comment with formula result:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error Resume Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In xRg If xCell.HasFormula Then xCell.Comment.Delete xCell.AddComment CStr(xCell.Value) End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, a dialog pops out to remind you to select cells you want to insert comments with their formula results. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, and comments are created with the displayed results of corresponding formulas.
To insert the formula result to comment, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Convert Comment and Cell utility to directly insert cell contents to the comment.30
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the formula cells you want to insert the formula results as comments and click Kutools > More > Convert Comment and Cell. See screenshot:
2. And in the prompt dialog, check Insert content of cell into comment option, see screenshot:
3. Click Ok. And you can see all cell contents have been inserted into the corresponding comments. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!