How to quickly condense rows based on same value in Excel?
Condense rows based on value with PivotTable
Condense rows based on value with formulas
Condense rows based on value with Kutools for Excel
Advanced Combine Rows
|With Kutools for Excel's Advanced Combine Rows utility, you can easily combine the rows based on same value, and then sum or count or list the responding value in another column. See screenshot:|
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
In Excel, there is a function – PivotTable, you can use it to quickly condense rows based on value and calculate values in other column.
1. Select the data range you want to work with, and click Insert > PivotTable. Now the Create PivotTable dialog pops out, please check New Worksheet or Existing Worksheet option as you need in the Choose where you want the PivotTable report to be placed section, and click OK. See screenshot:
2. Then drag the Order from the Field list to the Rows section, and drag the Sales field to the Values section in the PivotTable Fields pane, and the PivotTable has been created. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to do other calculations in Sale field, you can click at down arrow beside Sum of Sales in the Values section, and choose Value Field Settings to change the calculation in the prompt dialog. See screenshot:
Also, here are some formulas can help you to condense rows based on the same values.
1. Select a blank cell next to the data range you use, D2 for instance, and enter this formula =INDEX($A$2:$A$12,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($D$1:D1,$A$2:$A$12),0)), and hold Shift + Ctrl, and press Enter key to get to correct result. See screenshot:
Note: In this formula, A2:A12 is the column list you want to condense based on its duplicates, D1 is the first cell of the column you apply the formula. You can change them as you need.
2. Then click D2, the formula cell, and drag the autofill handle down until an error value displays. See screenshot:
3. Delete the error values and go to next cell to the first formula you use, E2 for instance, enter this formula =SUMIF($A$2:$A$12,D2,$B$2:$B$12), press Enter to get the result, and then drag fill handle down to apply this formula to cells. See screenshot:
In this formula, A2:A12 is the list you want to condense based on, and D2 is the cell you apply the first formula, B2:B12 is the list you want to sum up based on duplicates. You can change them as you need.
|Kutools for Excel's Auto Text, collect all formulas to a group as auto text, you can insert them anytime as you want whithout remembering! Free Download Now!|
If above methods are not simple enough for you, you can try to apply the Advanced Combine Rows utility of Kutools for Excel.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range you want to condense, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the prompt Advanced Combine Rows dialog, click the column A ( the column includes duplicate values), and choose Primary Key to mark it as key column, and then click the column B ( the column you do calculation) and click Calculate, and select one calculation you need from the list. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and the select range has been condensed rows based on values and do calculation. See screenshot: