How to quickly find the position of first letter (alpha) from string in Excel?
For instance, here is a list of text strings which are mixed with numbers and letters in a sheet, and to find the position of first letter (alpha character) as below screenshot shown maybe a troublesome problem for you. However in this article, I introduce some tricks on solving this job quickly for you.
Here are some formulas to help you to find the position of first letter in a string.
Select a blank cell which you will place the result, here take B2 for instance, and enter this formula =MATCH(TRUE,ISERROR(VALUE(MID(A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2))),1))),0), hold Shift + Ctrl, and press Enter key to get the result. Then click at B2 and drag auto fill handle to over the cells which need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: with above formula, if there is no any alpha character, it will display an error value.
In the formula, A2 is the cell you want to find the first alpha’s position, you can change it as you need.
If you usually apply Defined Function, here also has a Defined Function to help you find the first alpha and return to its position.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the Module script.
VBA: Find position of first letter
Function FirstNonDigit(xStr As String) As Long 'Updateby20220915 Dim xChar As Integer Dim xPos As Integer Dim I As Integer Application.Volatile For I = 1 To Len(xStr) xChar = Asc(Mid(xStr, I, 1)) If (xChar <= 90 And xChar >= 65) Or (xChar <= 122 And xChar >= 97) Then xPos = I Exit For End If Next FirstNonDigit = xPos End Function
3. Save the code and go back to the sheet, select a blank cell and enter this formula =FirstNonDigit(A15), press Enter key, and you can find the position of first alpha character.
But in some other cases, you may want to extract only alpha characters from a mixed string as below screenshot shown. In this situation, you can apply the Remove Characters utility of Kutools for Excel – a handy and helpful add in tool to quickly get it done.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Make a copy for the strings you want to extract alpha characters from. See screenshot:
2. Then select the copied strings and click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters. See screenshot:
3. And in the prompt Remove Characters dialog, check Non-alpha option only, you can preview the removed results as you check in the Preview box. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok or Apply. Now only the alpha characters are extracted.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!