How to change border color of active cell in Excel?
To change the filled color of active cell is a good choice to make it outstanding, but there is no built-in function to help you except macro code.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Double click at the sheet you want to use the code in the Project Explore pane, and paste below code to the Module script.
VBA: Change background color of active cell
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Cells.Borders.ColorIndex = xlNone
Target.Borders.Color = vbRed
3. Save the code, and now when you select a range, the range’s border color will be change to red. See screenshot:
Tip: it will remove all border format of the sheet if you apply this macro code.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can enable its Reading Layout to across highlight the active cell for sticking out.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Click Kutools > Reading Layout, and then when you select a cell or a range, it will across highlight the cell. See screenshot:
Tip: You can change the settings of the Reading Layout by clicking Kutools > Reading Layout > Reading Layout Settings, and in the popping dialog, specify the options as you need. See screenshots:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!