How to restrict to paste values only (prevent formatting) in Excel?
Normally, we paste copied data with just pressing the Ctrl + V keys simultaneously. And that will paste the copied values along with all the cell formatting. If you just need to paste the values only and restrict the cell formatting, the following methods can help you.
An easy way to restrict to paste values only is pasting the copied data as values only in Excel.
1. After copying data, right click the destination cell you will paste the data into.
2. Then click the Values button under the Paste Options section in the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
You can see only values of copied cells are pasted into the destination cells.
The following VBA code helps you paste only values of copied cells, and restrict all cell formatting. Please do as follows.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click the ThisWorkbook in the Project right pane to open the ThisWorkbook code window. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the window.
VBA code: Restrict to paste values only in Excel
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next Target.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues Application.CutCopyMode = True End Sub
3. Press the Alt + Q keys simultaneously to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Now, copy your data, and go to the destination worksheet. Only one click or right click on the destination cell will paste the values of copied cells without any formatting immediately.
Kutools for Excel’s Copy Ranges utility helps you to easily paste only values of a selected range or multiple selected ranges in Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select a range or multiple ranges with holding the Ctrl key, then click Kutools > Copy Ranges.
2. In the Copy Multiple Ranges dialog box, only select the Values option in the Paste special section, and then click the OK button.
Note: You can check both or one of the Including row height and the Including column width options as you need.
3. In the next Copy Multiple Ranges dialog box, select a blank cell for pasting the copied cells, and then click the OK button.
Then only values of all selected cells in a range or multiple ranges are pasted.
- How to restrict access to a certain worksheet in Excel?
- How to restrict value entry/input in a cell based on another cell value in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!