How to count number of instances if string length is greater than X in Excel?
Countif string length greater than X with formula
Sort strings by length with Kutools for Excel
Here I introduce some formulas to help you quickly count strings if the length is greater than a specific length.
Select a blank cell, and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A20,REPT("?",B1)&"*"), and press Enter key.
In this formula, A1:A20 is the range you want to count from, and B1 is the cell with the specified character length you want to count based on, in this case, I count the cell which length is greater than 9, so in B1, type 10( 9+1) , you can change them as you need.
Tip: You also can use this formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(A1:A20)>B1)) to count, in B1, type the specific lenght you want to use, for example, count length greater than 9, type 9 in B1.
In this section, I will introduce a trick on sorting strings by length, if you are interesting in this operation, you can move on.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
To sort strings by length, you can use a handy and powerful add in – Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, please do as below steps:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column header you want to sort, and choose Text length from Sort On list, and specify the order you need in next Order list. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. And the range has been sorted by text length of Order ID column. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!