How to count number of instances if string length is greater than X in Excel?
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 30-day trial of Office Tab!
Countif string length greater than X with formula
Here I introduce some formulas to help you quickly count strings if the length is greater than a specific length.
Select a blank cell, and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A20,REPT("?",B1)&"*"), and press Enter key.
In this formula, A1:A20 is the range you want to count from, and B1 is the cell with the specified character length you want to count based on, in this case, I count the cell which length is greater than 9, so in B1, type 10( 9+1) , you can change them as you need.
Tip: You also can use this formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(A1:A20)>B1)) to count, in B1, type the specific lenght you want to use, for example, count length greater than 9, type 9 in B1.
Sort strings by length with Kutools for Excel
In this section, I will introduce a trick on sorting strings by length, if you are interesting in this operation, you can move on.
| Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time. |
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
To sort strings by length, you can use a handy and powerful add in – Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, please do as below steps:
1. Select the data range you want to sort by length, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column header you want to sort, and choose Text length from Sort On list, and specify the order you need in next Order list. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. And the range has been sorted by text length of Order ID column. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!