How to count number of instances if string length is greater than X in Excel?
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 45-day trial of Office Tab!
Countif string length greater than X with formula
Here I introduce some formulas to help you quickly count strings if the length is greater than a specific length.
Select a blank cell, and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:A20,REPT("?",B1)&"*"), and press Enter key.
In this formula, A1:A20 is the range you want to count from, and B1 is the cell with the specified character length you want to count based on, in this case, I count the cell which length is greater than 9, so in B1, type 10( 9+1) , you can change them as you need.
Tip: You also can use this formula =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(A1:A20)>B1)) to count, in B1, type the specific lenght you want to use, for example, count length greater than 9, type 9 in B1.
Sort strings by length with Kutools for Excel
In this section, I will introduce a trick on sorting strings by length, if you are interesting in this operation, you can move on.
| Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
To sort strings by length, you can use a handy and powerful add in – Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, please do as below steps:
1. Select the data range you want to sort by length, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column header you want to sort, and choose Text length from Sort On list, and specify the order you need in next Order list. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. And the range has been sorted by text length of Order ID column. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
- More than
300 powerful advanced features, designed for
1500 work scenarios, increasing productivity by
70%, give you more time to take care of family and enjoy life.
- No longer need memorizing formulas and VBA codes, give your brain a rest from now on.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, Complicated and repeated operations can be done in seconds,
- Reduce thousands of keyboard & mouse operations every day, say goodbye to occupational diseases now.
- 110,000 highly effective people and 300+ world-renowned companies' choice.
- 60-day full features free trial. 60-day money back guarantees. 2 years of free upgrade and support.
- Office Tab is designed for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Other Office Applications: Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!