How to sum first digit of each cell only in Excel?
In Excel, we usually sum all values in a range by using =SUM(range), but have you ever tried to sum only first digit of each cell as below screenshot shown before? In this article, I will talk about the trick on summing every first digit of each cell only in Excel.
To sum first digit up from each cell, you can apply below formula.
Select a blank cell which you will put the calculation result in, enter this formula =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2:A10,1)+0),LEFT(A2:A10,1)+0)), and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key to get result correctly. See screenshot:
In the formula, A2:A10 are the cells you want to sum their first digits, you can change it as you need.
However, in other cases, you may want to sum all digits in a single cell as below screenshot shown. Actually, there is no built-in function that can help you solve it in Excel, but you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Sum numbers in a cell function can quickly handle it.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select a blank cell which you will place the calculation result into, click Kutools > Formula Helper > Math & Trig > Sum numbers in a cell. See screenshot:
2. Then in Formulas Helper dialog, select the cell you want to sum its numbers into Cell textbox, you can change the absolute reference to the relative reference manually. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then all numeric digits in the selected cell has been summed up. And you can drag the autofill handle over the cells you need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!