How to sum first digit of each cell only in Excel?
In Excel, we usually sum all values in a range by using =SUM(range), but have you ever tried to sum only first digit of each cell as below screenshot shown before? In this article, I will talk about the trick on summing every first digit of each cell only in Excel.
To sum first digit up from each cell, you can apply below formula.
Select a blank cell which you will put the calculation result in, enter this formula =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A2:A10,1)+0),LEFT(A2:A10,1)+0)), and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key to get result correctly. See screenshot:
In the formula, A2:A10 are the cells you want to sum their first digits, you can change it as you need.
However, in other cases, you may want to sum all digits in a single cell as below screenshot shown. Actually, there is no built-in function that can help you solve it in Excel, but you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Sum numbers in a cell function can quickly handle it.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select a blank cell which you will place the calculation result into, click Kutools > Formula Helper > Math & Trig > Sum numbers in a cell. See screenshot:
2. Then in Formulas Helper dialog, select the cell you want to sum its numbers into Cell textbox, you can change the absolute reference to the relative reference manually. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then all numeric digits in the selected cell has been summed up. And you can drag the autofill handle over the cells you need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!