How to sum or count first n values in an Excel column or row?
Have you ever imaged to sum or count only first n values in an Excel column or a row? For example, I have a list of values, and now I want to sum first 3 values only of the list as below screenshot shown. In this article, I introduce some formulas which can quickly sum or count first n values in a column or row in Excel.
Count or sum first n values in a column with formulas
Sum first n values only, you can do as below:
Select a blank cell which you will put the result into, and enter this formula =SUM(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,C2)), press Enter key to calculate the result. See screenshot:
Count first n values excluding text only, you can do as below:
Select a blank cell and type this formula =COUNT(OFFSET($A$2,0,0,C2)), press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
Count or sum first n values in a row with formulas
If you want to count or sum first n values in a row, you can do as below
Select a blank cell that you want to put the calculated result into, and enter this formula =SUM(OFFSET(A20,0,0,1,A23)), press Enter key to get the calculation. See screenshot:
1. To count first n numeric strings in a row, use this formula =COUNT(OFFSET(A20,0,0,1,A23)).
2. In above formulas. A20 is the first value in the row you want to calculate, A23 indicates to count or sum first n values, you can change them as you need.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!