How to repeat a character n times in a cell in Excel?
This article is talking about repeating a character in a cell. For example, repeat a certain character n times in a cell, or fill a cell with a certain character and so on. To deal with these problems, please follow the below methods step by step.
For example, you need to repeat the character * four times in a cell, you can apply the following formula to achieve it. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =REPT("*",4) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key to get the result. See screenshot.
Note: In the formula, you can change the repeated character and the repeated frequency as you need.
If you need to fill the whole cell with repeated character, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell you need to fill with repeated character, then press Ctrl + 1 keys simultaneously.
2. Then the Format Cells dialog box pops up, please click the Alignment tab, select Fill option in the Horizontal drop-down list, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
From now on, when you enter character in this cell, the character will be repeated to fill the whole cell automatically as below screenshot shown.
As below screenshot shown, if you need to fill a cell with repeated * character and number 45 in Excel, please do as follows.
1. Select and right click the cell you need to fill, then select Format Cells from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, click the Number tab, select Custom in the Category box, and then enter **0 into the Type box, and finally click the OK button.
Now, when you enter the number you need into the cell, the repeated * character is filled before the number automatically, see screenshot:
- How to repeat a cell value until new value is seen or reached in Excel?
- How to repeat rows on top of every printout except the last page in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!