How to repeat a character n times in a cell in Excel?
This article is talking about repeating a character in a cell. For example, repeat a certain character n times in a cell, or fill a cell with a certain character and so on. To deal with these problems, please follow the below methods step by step.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For example, you need to repeat the character * four times in a cell, you can apply the following formula to achieve it. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =REPT("*",4) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key to get the result. See screenshot.
Note: In the formula, you can change the repeated character and the repeated frequency as you need.
If you need to fill the whole cell with repeated character, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell you need to fill with repeated character, then press Ctrl + 1 keys simultaneously.
2. Then the Format Cells dialog box pops up, please click the Alignment tab, select Fill option in the Horizontal drop-down list, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
From now on, when you enter character in this cell, the character will be repeated to fill the whole cell automatically as below screenshot shown.
As below screenshot shown, if you need to fill a cell with repeated * character and number 45 in Excel, please do as follows.
1. Select and right click the cell you need to fill, then select Format Cells from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, click the Number tab, select Custom in the Category box, and then enter **0 into the Type box, and finally click the OK button.
Now, when you enter the number you need into the cell, the repeated * character is filled before the number automatically, see screenshot:
- How to repeat a cell value until new value is seen or reached in Excel?
- How to repeat rows on top of every printout except the last page in Excel?